Saturday, November 17, 2012

The Beginning

     My weight has been a challenge for as long as I can remember.  I can look back, and remember being heavier than my peers in elementary school.  I still remember them weighing us in fifth grade, and being embarrassed.  Throughout my twenty-four years I have tried many different tactics to shed the weight, but nothing really worked except weight watchers.  Unfortunately, I have signed up and quit too many times to count.
     However, in August of 2010 my doctor called, and told me my cholesterol was 301mg/dL.  For those of you that do not know what this number means, let me explain.  A normal cholesterol number is less than 200 mg/dL, 200-239 mg.dL is borderline high, and 240 mg/dL or above is considered high.  Because my cholesterol is this high I have more than twice the risk of coronary heart disease as someone whose cholesterol is below 200 mg/dL.  Finally, in July of 2011 I saw a specialist. She informed me that, because I am still young I do not need to go on medication at the present, but that I need to lose 30lbs.  At the time she said this I weighed 154lbs.  I am 5'4", so according to the Body Mass Index scale I was at 26.4.  At this number I was overweight.  So the goal of losing 30lbs was set, and I joined weight watchers July 2011.
     By Christmas I had lost a little over 10lbs, and I was really proud of myself.  My family and friends noticed, and I had started to notice not just in the clothes department, but also in my overall mood. However, I went home to visit family at Christmas, and something changed.  Even after I got home I just lost the motivation that I had before the Holidays.  I struggled with my weight throughout the spring, into summer, and now fall.  I have not gain all the weight I lost I am still at 145lbs, but I still have 20lbs to go.
     I am hoping that through this blog I can find the motivation to finish my goal of 20lbs.  On Sunday I will be starting back with weight watchers as it worked to get the first 10lbs off.  I know this journey is going to be long and rough, kind of like Odysseus's journey back home in The Odyssey.  So here goes nothing...let the odyssey of weight loss begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment